Saturday 23 January 2010

¿caipirinha o cachaça?


I thought of writing something about Architecture but I reckon, for this weekend I shall refrain from doing so. There is more to life than bloody Architecture! And yes, no sleep for yet another night.

It was great to meet Bellucci last night after all this time. I'm surprised she still recognised me. Impressive. She looks well and great as usual. What do you expect from a French, Italian and Brazilian pedigree? The night went better than expected and she was much more relaxed than the last time I saw her. As we talked over dinner, she dropped the bombshell that she's leaving London, her home of 6 years and heading back to Paris in September. I was disappointed but was acutely aware not to show my thoughts. We reminisced and laughed at the circumstance we first met and we deliberated over her future plans.
As we were picking on our sushi, she decided that we should set a date to meet again; this time, I have to choose the place. Not a problem, I thought. We both looked at our diary and the date is set. Done.

Weekends are supposed to be a relaxing time to unwind. But lately, I've noticed that a couple of friends are getting more than their share of agony. Life is too short to get involved in complications and redundant agro. I've been there and trust me; it's not worth the hassle.

As I was passing Camden tonight, I've noticed how different it has become. Not in the best way I have to say. Everything seems very clean and organised. Too clean, I think. The soul has gone. The people that frequent the area are eclectic, but not in a good way. Toru mentioned it reminded him of Portsmouth and I greatly hope someone would mention it to Camden council. Walking down Chalk Farm Road one can't help notice the disproportionate number of locals and tourists, local shops and chains, residential and commercial spaces, dense urban spaces and greenery, pedestrian walkway and roads plus police and punters. Is this what is happening to all the iconic places in London? Stereotyping of spaces? Look at Spitalfields, what a disaster! Other than making it look 'new, modern, fresh and trendy', the space lacks
soul. All spaces have its own soul, what's the point in reinterpreting a space and come up with a final presentation that destroys its very essence? Every time I hear the background white chatter from the suits, my ears gets red.

Bellucci smiled. I smiled. Eyes locked. A mutual understanding was reached. That's all it needs. We said our goodbye's for now. The doors shut. I looked back and waved. She reciprocated. I turn and walked. We knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment