Tuesday 20 July 2010

blue lane

Cycle Superhighway is here!!

Barclays and Mayor of London have been planning this for years. Following the successes of Velo in Paris, our militant mayor, Boris Johnson is pushing for all the lanes to be finalised by 2015. I'm unsure as whether to be excited or just plain critical because there are too many gaps in the system. The blue lines is definitely an eye catching colour especially for the drivers to notice but I wonder whether its width is too narrow to accommodate the ever increasing number of cyclist in the road. I've also noticed that the lane is smoother than its precedessor which is a dream to most cyclist. Unfortunately, as this is London, certain sections of the superhighway is more like a B road because of the narrow streets it passes. This is where the larger motor traffic squeezes themself onto the dear cyclist and a bottleneck appears. Perhaps this is just a slight oversight and hopefully will be rectified in the near future. Boris, you heard it from me first.
The new cycle hire booths are slowly taking shape across London. I'm sure it will be a great hit with Londoners and visitors alike. I, for one have registered to be a member, annually of course. £45 and £3 for the electronic key, who is to quibble? I probably get another key for the Brunnette as well although we have 5 bikes between us now - Trek, Scott, Pashley and 2 Bromptons. You can't have too many bikes you know.

There was a great pessimism in regards to this scheme because the public believe that all the bikes would be nicked. Of course some would be nicked and some would be vandalised but doesn't it happen with everything else? We in the UK have this ability to dampen down and see all the negativity in everything! We have this acute ability to criticized absolutely everything even before trying it and I blame this to what I call, a typical 'Island mentality'. More about this concept in future post. As for now, I hope it all goes well and I bloody hope more cyclist learn to be better riders because bikes are not toys! You fucking adults and mediocre cyclist out there should know.


Pedals on and off I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment